Saturday, September 08, 2007

7474 Clear timing belt cover

This is one of those none performance mod or shall I say wasting money mod. Since I had the same thing on my Satria GTi last time. So I reckon it would good in the Evo as well. Since Pilot is bringing it in so I have decided to order one.

One the contrary of what people said about this item like turning yellow and cracking. I decided to gamble on it. Actually, the lone I had on my GTi only lasted for 3 months before turning yellow and eventually cracked.

Physically looking at the clear timing belt cover that Pilot brought it. I can see quite a lot of difference from the one I had in my previous car. For one it's a lot thicker and better quality as shown in the picture below.



Before installation

Then comes installation, it may looks kind of easy. Like the saying goes "Easier said than done". Well, I found out the hard way. For start you have to loosen up 4 bolts which are located at 4 corners of the timing belt cover.

The 2 top and front bottom was easy to remove due to it's location making it easier for the spanner access . But the one at rear bottom was a pain to remove. Since I am lazy to take out the strut bar. I had to do a bit of gymnastic in order to squeeze the spanner through. Well, with a bit of patience and lot of swearing. I managed to take the last bolt out.

This is how it looks after installation.


Before : Stock timing belt cover which is black and boring


After : The timing belt and pulley is clearly visible


After: Another angle of of the clear timing belt cover


Engine bay before clear timing belt cover


Engine bay after clear timing belt cover

Even though the clear timing belt cover is not as shinny or cool like the carbon ones. I think it gonna look way cooler when I install an aftermarket cam pulley coupled with a new timing belt. The TODA timing belt looks rather stock. Power timing belt would look cool since it's blue in colour.

I am happy with the overall results. Next up SUNAUTO ignition blade which will replace the plug cable cover. Then comes the custom air box. Once that done, I can conclude my engine bay mods.

Damaged:
1. Clear timing belt cover - RM: 450 (Imported by Thomas aka Pilot of MEOC)

No comments: