Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Correct Connecting Hose Applications

This what happened to me on the 13 March 2007. I was on my to work as I came out from the junction. My car suddenly jerk as my boost kicks in, after that the car sounded like it was chocking and there was a huge amount of power lost. It was so severe that I though my engine blew up or something must have been broken from the engine.

The first thing I noticed was at 5800 rpm, my boost readings was only 0.85bar. So something must be definitely wrong. It was scary indeed. Lucky for me, it happens quite close to my house. So I limp back home slowly, park my car in my garage and called a cab. Since I got to go to work, I guess that's the only thing to do.

After calling some of my more experience friends. All of them gave me the similar remarks "Nothing to worry about, it's probably one of you inter cooler hoses come undone". True enough, after a thorough inspection. I noticed the upper inter cooler hoses clamp was dangling at the bottom of the lower inter cooler piping.

Believe or not this is quite common amongst the Evo or shall I say Turbo community which I find it rather strange. I mean, we are talking about stock car that was only bosst at 1.3bar not the monster ones that boosting like at 1.8bar. The fact remains, does the shop around here really knows which hoses to use.








After doing doing my research, I found that when it comes to connecting hoses. Less is more. In another word try to have the least number of connecting hoses due to the engine movements that would likely causing the hose to come undone. Another thing that worth considering is using the 'HUMP' connecting hose instead of the standard ones.

This kind of hose best suited for cars using standard engine mounting, due to the engine movements. Unless you are using solid mounting which restrict the engine movements.

For me solid mounting is definitely out of the questions. I guess the logical thing for me to do would be changing the standard connecting to hoses to the hump one.

No comments: